Is your home ready for buyers?
Staging Your Home Check List
Getting your home ready for sale can sometimes seem like an overwhelming task, but there are many simple things in the list below that can help you get started. Remember, you will be putting your home on display which is very different than the way most people live in their homes on a daily basis. The first thing you’ll want to do is clean your home from top to bottom and get rid of any and all clutter. You also want to create an open feeling where prospective buyers can imagine their things in your home.
Getting your home ready for sale is much like getting a used car ready to sell. You want to make the minuses look like pluses and make every corner and detail shine. Having a clean, well tended look to your home will make it more attractive to potential buyers and hopefully make competing homes that are also up for sale seem less desirable than yours.
Clean your home, remove clutter and create open space
Clean your bathrooms, well.
- Are the surfaces clean and clutter free?
- Are shower curtains in good condition? Replace if needed.
- Are the doors in good condition and hung properly? Do they squeak?
- Is the flooring clean and fresh? Clean tile and grout thoroughly.
- Are towels neatly hung and bath mats clean?
- Does the bathroom have an odor?
- Are the mirrors and medicine cabinets clean?
- Add a vase of fresh cut flowers such as orchids or lilies.
Check your walls
- Is paint or wallpaper clean or newer looking?
- Are the walls free from holes or damage? Fix and touchup as needed.
- Are there any colors or objects on the walls that need to be removed?
- Are there too many pictures on the walls? Are the pictures neatly hung?
Check your floors and carpets
- Vacuum your carpets and mop/clean your floors.
- Is the carpet clean and free from stains? Have pet stains or hard to get out stains professionally removed.
- Are hard surface floors clean and free from stains?
- Are throw rugs in good condition?
Check your windows and window coverings
- Are all the windows clean?
- Are all the curtains clean? Remove and shake out/clean as needed.
- Are all the blinds clean? Remove and clean as needed.
- Are all the window tracks clean?
- Ask your friend or neighbor to help; can they tell that this is a pet’s home?
- Does the home have an unpleasant or animal-like aroma?
- Be sure to clean and remove kitty litter, pet toys and bedding.
- Sweep up and check regularly for pet hair, especially on smooth flooring.
The Home’s Aroma
- Air out the home prior to any showings.
- If air freshener is needed, use long before any showings in consideration of those with allergies. Also, if a home has an overwhelming air freshener aroma, potential buyers may be curious as to why.
Set the mood before a showing
- Open draperies and blinds to let in as much natural light as possible.
- Use flowers to add color and cheer up rooms.
- Put some classical music on and set the volume on low.
- Allow the warm, welcoming aroma, of freshly baked cookies, apple pie, or warm apple cider to permeate the home just before a showing.
I Can Help Stage Your Home!
More Information for Sellers
- Is your home ready for buyers?
- Does your home have curb appeal?
- Learn about the Global Luxury marketing program
- Contact me to find out how I can help you with the sale of your home
- Learn more about Renovation Tips for Investing in Your Home
- Glossary of Real Estate Terms
- For additional useful information, you can check out Information for Sellers on our Coldwell Banker website